Friday, June 24, 2011

First Post Part 1: Why?

I write this first post 4 years to the day (though I am posting it the day after) since I was married to my precious wife, Heather. We've been through a lot together and look forward to the journey ahead.

The question to be answered in some measure in this first post is "Why start a blog?" Truth is, I've been asking myself this question for years!


1. I know very well that I'm not that special and don't have a whole lot to say that couldn't be said much more effectively by someone else. At the same time, I know that because God has made each person unique with specific gifts, there may very well be some things I can say that will bless others.

2. I've struggled with wondering what impact I'm having at this present point in my life. While the Lord is using me in many ways, I wonder if He might use me in this way as well.

3. I've also been dealing with "writer's withdrawals" since graduating last year. I used to write for hours on end almost daily for a couple of years straight. You might think I'm crazy, but I miss certain aspects of writing.

4. As Heather and I prepare to welcome our firstborn son into the world, we can use this blog to share pictures, stories, and experiences as we begin our lives as parents. Facebook and Twitter limit us to short and often trivial status updates. We hope to provide more meaningful updates here.

5.Blogging is a good way to get feedback on posts. I like to run my thoughts by people and get their thoughts in response.

6. Finally, 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God," meaning, if you blog, do it to the glory of God. Ultimately, I hope that this blog brings glory to my Creator and Redeemer while blessing others.

I could list more, but one of the challenges I've given myself in writing this blog is to be brief and concise when possible. The next post will address a bit about what this blog will include.

No comments:

Post a Comment